“If you would go every day to a very large tree and take five swings at it with a very sharp ax, eventually, no matter how large the tree, it would have to come down.” Ron Scolastico
The most simple and true concept if I have ever heard one. So whatever habit you want to break or create can be done if you believe in the above principle. What would happen if every day you took 5 simple steps towards achieving whatever goal you want to achieve?
Is your goal to lose weight? What 5 steps can you take every day? Is your goal to simplify your life and have more peace in order to experience less stress? What 5 steps.
- Be specific: You cannot just say you are going to lose weight or have less stress. You must have a plan. For instance… Buy a bunch of salad ingredients for lunch, make sure you go for a walk, cut out at least one instance of sugar a day. These are all examples of steps you can take. Try 15 minutes of meditation or twice a day use deep breathing.
- Have Realistic goals: Don’t crash diet. Don’t just quit your job. You cannot lose 2 pounds a day. You can lose 2 pounds a week. You cannot just jog 5 miles as a beginner, you can walk 2 miles. You will not become an expert yogi, you can try out some moves.
- Have long-term success goals: There is no quick fix. Journal, make a plan, have a calendar where you keep track. Pencil in your meditation session, your quick healthy meal plans. It takes a long time to make lifestyle changes lifelong habits.
- Accountability: Use a friend or family member. I always found if I said it out loud, or told someone my goals, I was more likely to stick to it because I would be held accountable.
- No fail: If your goal setting is not enough, you did not fail. Reevaluate, make sure you are setting attainable goals, and get help.
- Hint…hint…Health Coach!