Approximately 10 million people in the United States are affected by Fibromyalgia what is it? It is usually characterized by chronic pain, particularly muscle pain, fatigue, sleep disturbances, brain fog, depression and painful tender points throughout the body. The cause of this is essentially unknown in medicine or in what most people call “normal” doctor’s offices.
In function medicine, which is medicine that looks for the root cause to problems and issues vs. treating symptoms at they happen, looks to determine why you are experiencing the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. As a health coach we are trained to work with the functional medicine approach to symptoms.
Studies are showing more and more that there are treatable, preventable reasons for your fibromyalgia symptoms.
1. Gluten Intolerance: Gluten is said to be related now to at least 55 chronic diseases. These often are rooted in digestion instead of the diagnosed neurological base.
2. Thyroid: There are two standard references for thyroid function. They would determine if your function is high or low. However you may have an auto-immune thyroid malfunction which would need a third test. Once that is determined, again treatable through food, nutrition, and lifestyle changes to relieve symptoms.
3. Vitamin Deficiencies: Some of the main deficiencies in Americans today are Vitamin D, B12 and Magnesium. Because we are eating a lot of processed “food” we are actually lacking in nutrients. Deficiencies in these 3 things can cause disease like symptoms.
4. Gut Flora: We need probiotics. With stress, processed foods, too much sugar in our diets and lack of exercise today we have a gut flora that is thrown off.
5. Adrenal Fatigue: Adrenal Fatigue is caused by chronic stress. Chronic stress causes the adrenals to work overtime, eventually giving out. This can cause chronic pain and many other symptoms.
So what is the answer? Manage stress through nutrition, get regular exercise and look within to find your particular “root” cause. Health Coaches like me are a great help in helping you find your cause. We help you understand where your stress is coming from, we help support you while you make some lasting lifestyle changes, and are able to work with you, hold you accountable, and listen, while you learn new recipes, healthy eating techniques, and find the right combinations of food and diet style for you, your life, and your body.