Laughter is a great stress reliever in that it relieves physical and psychological stress.
Stress Management Benefits of Laughter:
- Hormones: Laughter reduces the level of stress hormones and growth hormone. It also increases the level of health-enhancing hormones like endorphins. This means a stronger immune system, as well as fewer physical effects of stress.
- Physical Release: Have you experienced the cleansed feeling after a good laugh? Laughter provides a physical and emotional release.
- Internal Workout: A good belly laugh exercises the diaphragm, contracts the abs and even works out the shoulders, leaving muscles more relaxed afterward. It even provides a good workout for the heart.
- Distraction: Laughter brings the focus away from anger, guilt, and stress.
- Perspective: Our response to stressful events can be altered by whether we view something as a challenge or as a threatening situation. Finding the humor can give us a more lighthearted perspective thereby making them less threatening and more positive.
- Social Benefits of Laughter: Laughter connects us with others. By elevating the mood of those around you, you can reduce their stress levels, and be the cause of their stress relief. This will help to lower your stress level even more!